Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1946 under the leadership of Rev. J.C. Yarbrough. The Johnson Homestead Property was purchased on Poplar Street to build the church. A committee of nine women was formed to name and organize the church. Sis. Annie Griffin, Sis. Eva Hicks, Sis. Stela Waddell, and Sis. Ida Faulk named and helped with organizing the church. Sis. Hattie Bonds, Sis. Lillie Wilmer, Sis. Mary Vinson, Sis. Yuanita Reynolds, and Sis. Alma Robinson were also part of the organization of the church. Sis. Eva Hick’s husband, Dr. L.J. Hicks was one of the first members and financial supporters of the church. The foundation for the church basement was completed in 1948 and was used to house a kindergarten school taught by Lucy Beasley. The sanctuary was completed ten years later in 1958.