In 1886 a group of Christians began meeting in the home of Susan Thrasher on the northeast corner of Court and Tuscaloosa Streets. For the next four years the groups assembled in various rented paces until it obtained its own building.
The move was made to the southwest corner of Poplar and Tombigbee Streets in September, 1890. That building remained the church’s home until March 1, 1970, when it moved to the northeast corner of Wood Avenue and Tuscaloosa Street. The oldest of all in-city Churches of Christ, Wood Avenue has played a significant role in the expansion of the Church of Christ throughout many parts of the world.