Expansion, consolidation of education programs and libraries reflect the growth and commitment to educational resources. Public and private educational institutions continue a legacy of excellence.
1951 – F. T. Appleby School – Former Coffee H. S. building renamed F. T. Appleby School.
1951 – Coffee High School -New location of Coffee High School on N. Cherry St.
1951 – W.C. Handy Elementary School – W. C. Handy Elementary School opens on West Irvine Avenue.
1951 -Weeden Elementary School – Weeden Elementary School (Weeden Heights School) annexed from Lauderdale County Schools.
1951 -Burrell Slater – Burrell High School was renamed Burrell Slater High School.
1952 and 1953 – At Florence State Teachers College – A Major is offered in Music Education (1952) and a Music Major is introduced (1953) at Florence State Teachers College.
1954 – Weeden School – Weeden School is moved to a new location on Baldwin Street.
1955 – Harlan Elementary School – Harlan Elementary opened on Norwood Boulevard. It was named for Samuel Clay Harlan, former member of the Board of Education and local industrialist.
1957 – Florence State College – Florence State Teachers College changes its name to Florence State College.
December 8, 1958 – Burrell Slater High School – Burrell Slater High School burned.
1959 – (J. W.) Powell (Elementary) School – The Elementary School opens on Tune Avenue. It was named for J. W. Powell, former Superintendent of Education.
1960 – Burrell Slater High School – Burrell Slater High School reopened in its new location on College St.
1961 – (Henry G.) Richards (Elementary) School – The Elementary School opens on Riverview Drive.
1963 – At Florence State College – First African – American student admitted to Florence State College – Wendell Wilkie Gunn.
1963 – Forest Hills Elementary School – Forest Hill Elementary School opens on Stovall Drive in Florence.
1966 – Bradshaw High School – Bradshaw High School is named for Henry A. Bradshaw, former member of the Board of Education.
March 31, 1966 – Lauderdale County Board of Education – The Florence Herald reports that the Lauderdale County Board of Education has adopted the newly-mandated federal desegregation plan.
1968 – Florence State University – Florence State College changes its name to Florence State University.
1968- Southeastern Institute (College) of the Bible – Malcolm Hill agreed to leave his work as preacher for the Forest Park congregation in greater Atlanta to become the inaugural president of the newly established Southeastern Institute (College) of the Bible in Florence. Southeastern classes met for the first time in January 1969. The College was associated with The Church of Christ.
May 1968 – Bradshaw High School – Bradshaw High School graduates its first class.
1969 – Burrell Slater School – Burrell Slater School is closed and the building reopened as the city’s first vocational school.
September 1971 – International Bible College – Southeastern Institute (College) of the Bible was renamed International Bible College.
1972 – Florence State University – Florence State University celebrates its 100th anniversary (State Normal School 1972).
1974 – Mrs. Mary Ella Potts – Mrs. Mary Ella Potts is appointed to UNA Board of Trustees. She is the first woman in the State to serve as President Pro Tempore of a Board of Trustees of an Alabama State University.
1974 – Florence State University – Florence State University changes its name to the University of North Alabama.
1975 – The University Of North Alabama – The University of North Alabama becomes the only school in Alabama to offer a major in Commercial Music.
1976 – The University Of North Alabama – First female athletic scholarship is awarded at the University of North Alabama.
1980 – (The Rufus G.) Hibbett School – (The Rufus G.) Hibbett School opens on Appleby Boulevard. It is named for Rufus G. Hibbett, former Superintendent of Education.
1983 – Florence/Lauderdale Public Library – A significant addition was made to the Florence/Lauderdale Public Library.
1991 – The University Of North Alabama – The First Academic Convocation at The University of North Alabama for entering freshmen and transfers is held in the fall; the University’s ceremonial mace is used for the first time.
1992 – The Florence/Lauderdale Public Library Board – The Florence/Lauderdale Public Library Board withdrew from the Muscle Shoals Regional Library. At this time it became associated with the Lauderdale County Regional Library.
1996 – The University Of North Alabama – The University of North Alabama Lions become the first Division II football team to visit the White House.
1997 – Shoals Christian School – Shoals Christian School is a K3-12 college preparatory, nondenominational, Christian school located in Florence. It was incorporated in 1997.