Florence Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church was established in 1897 but was apparently the successor to an earlier Black Cumberland Presbyterian congregation, since the Florence Times reported in October, 1894, that a Rev. Hudson, “the colored Cumberland Presbyterian preacher,” had died. The “Mother Church” of the Presbytery, Florence Cumberland Colored Presbyterian Church replaced a frame building with the present brick sanctuary on property deeded by the city on East Alabama Street in 1897. The first recorded pastor was a Rev. Bolinger. In 1948 an annex and educational building were added, and in 1997 the name of the congregation became Florence Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church.